[Sca-cooks] Stefan's recent Nobles Luncheon at the BG 30th

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 7 17:00:34 PST 2009

Johnnae replied to my commentary with:

<<< I am not sure that you could do much better if the numbers
are going to be off by half. >>>

Well, that number was for the Nobles. With any remainder going on a
first-come first-served basis to the populace, I wasn't as concerned
in being really precise, at least within the budget because I figured
that would leave more for the populace. I don't know how I would have
estimated more precisely though, since some items were quite popular
and others weren't. That is where someone with more experience cooking
feasts or even being a housewife budgeting for a family could have
done better than me.

<<< Maybe just one course in the future? >>>

It was served buffet-style, so only one course,
  although I had the "Taste of the SCA in 1979" on the first half of a
table with a sign and the "Taste of the SCA in 2009" on the other
table and a half with a sign.

Without the "theme", I could have/would have cut out most of the 1979
dishes.

<<< (Like I am one to talk. I did 24 cakes plus
the following for the one event one time:
A Jelly of Strawberries, A Summer Dishe, A Cream,
Sugar Cakes, Shortbreads, Wafers, Letter Cookies,
Spice (Dutch Taai-Taai) Cookies,
A Great Cake, Sugarpaste and Marchepane Roses,
Candies of Lemon Peel, Orange Peel,
Blood Orange Peel, Lemon Slices and Orange Segments,
Blood Orange Candied and Dried, Candied Citron,
candy of lemon, candy made of oranges,
tamarind candy and melon candy
Apples cut into sticks, Candied and Preserved.,
Apricot Paste cut into Diamonds and Squares,
Rose Preserves; Quince Jam; Marmalade,
Sugar Candy Crystals and Comfits,
Dried Fruits of Apricots, Cherries, Currants,
Dates, Raisins, Figs, and Almonds,
Fresh Fruits of Strawberries, Cherries, Grapes,
and Watermelon) >>>

Your menu does have a strong advantage over mine. With the exception
of the fresh fruit, most of this could be made up over weeks or even
months ahead of time, as time permits and not have to be rushed in the
last couple of days before the fresh ingredients would spoil.

Was this 24 different cakes? Or 24 cakes of only a few varieties? Now
I can see where the cakes couldn't be made too far in advance or they
would spoil. Or did you make and then freeze them? That would still be
a lot of freezer space, though.

And your selection would be great for a Yule dayboard or dessert
board. A Renaissance buffet? The sort of meal they built the rooms
for.  Hmmm. I'm going to have to keep this list in mind. Maybe if I
want to make a splash at our baronial Yule pot luck...

Tamarind candy? The only place I've seen tamarind was in Indian food.

What is the recipe for the "Spice (Dutch Taai-Taai) Cookies".

<<< Sometimes we just go crazy. >>>

Wasn't that something I was supposed to learn as a kid? Something
about eyes being bigger than stomaches?

Is that the difference between a Laurel and a Pelican? The Laurel
tries to do it all, authentically. And the Pelican gets others to try
to do it, authentically?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com