[Sca-cooks] Cookery book at Longleat House?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Sun Nov 8 05:40:53 PST 2009

On 8 Nov 2009, at 7:20 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> It's an idea but, with current expenses what they are...and in some
> kingdoms, the reluctance to spend money on things for cooks (even
> though
> they provide a major presence at most of our events), this is really
> not
> likely to happen.  In our Barony, typically we have had to really
> fight for
> what we have spent on kitchen equipment.  It's getting better, but
> we're not
> there yet.
>
> Kiri

There's a lovely parable that sort of applies here. A king has three
daughters, and on his birthday he calls them all to his throne room to
visit him and share a little birthday cake. Because it's his birthday,
he feels he deserves to be pampered a bit, and also he's getting a bit
old and wants to know whom he should designate as his heir, so he asks
them how much they love him.

One daughter says, "Daddy, I love you more than gold." The king is
pleased and gives her a hugs and thinks to himself, "Maybe this one.
She clearly values me highly."

Another daughter says, "I love you more than pearls and jewels, Papa."
The king is pleased once again, and he gives this daughter a kiss,
thinking, "This one clearly sees me as rare and precious."

The third daughter thinks about it and finally decides, "I love you
more than salt." The king is not pleased. He pats the daughter on the
head, but he hurts a little inside because this daughter feels that he
is so commonplace, so ordinary, so prosaic.

The daughter senses her father the king's displeasure, and so she goes
out of his presence, leaving him to play with her sisters. She runs
off to the kitchen to console herself with a nibble of something
sweet, a habit of hers.

The next day at dinner, the king is served a beautiful repast among
his family, rather than among his own court. He takes a bite, however,
and the food doesn't taste nearly as lovely as it looks or smells. In
fact, it is bland, tasteless, and even a little disgusting. He demands
the cook brought before him to explain himself.

The cook smiles and says, "I was in the hall yesterday while you were
speaking to your daughters. One praised you as gold and the other as
jewels, and you were very pleased. The third praised you as salt, and
I could see disappointment marring your majesty's countenance. When I
realized how little you appreciated salt, I decided to leave it out of
today's meal, so that you would understand its true importance."

The king beckoned to his daughter and gave her a hug and a kiss. "Now
I understand that you love and value me," he told the girl, "but more
than that, you have taught me to love and value the commonplace and
the ordinary, the things that I have taken for granted." Though he did
not tell her at the time, he marked her in his mind to become his heir
to the kingdom, knowing that she would administer the kingdom to
prosperity and peace.

Maybe a couple of events without feasts would clarify the issue of the
relative importance of cooks for them.