[Sca-cooks] An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Sun Nov 8 12:10:13 PST 2009

On 8 Nov 2009, at 1:45 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> On Nov 8, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Judith Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a couple of events without feasts would clarify the issue of
>>> the relative importance of cooks for them.
>>
>> Johnnae replied:
>>
>>> You must understand that major events, even events like Crowns
>>> and Coronations, routinely run without feasts in this kingdom.
>>> Some offer hotel catered banquets that don't sell out and get
>>> canceled.
>>> Others never plan a feast to start with.
>>> Even the 40th ran with just lunch taverns.
>>
>> Well, out here in The West, there are NO Kingdom level events
>> guaranteed to have a feast.
>

> Wow.
> Here in Lochac, we usually have four Kingdom feasts per year (ie 2x
> Crowns + 2x Coronations).  They don't strictly speaking *have* to
> have feasts, but having no feast would be quite unusual (and I'm not
> sure it's been done in recent years).

This just confounds me. Admittedly I haven't been to a whole lot of
events -- maybe four or five in college, and one since -- but they all
had feasts. Every time I hear about an event on a mailing list,
someone talks about how great the feast was. I've never seen an event
website that doesn't mention feast, even if it's just "feast menu to
be announced." Seems to me like every event's got a feast! I'm just
floored to discover that this isn't the case.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg