[Sca-cooks] Tamarind and Cookies was Stefan's recent Nobles Luncheon at the BG 30th

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 9 05:49:53 PST 2009

Stefan asked a few questions about my banquet from 2002.

I shopped a number of ethnic grocery stores prior to this feast and
came across a small package
of tamarind there. It wasn't very expensive so I bought it. The
tamarind was a different color than the other candied fruits so I put
it out in small dish for the table. Sometimes creating these tables
takes
dishes of certain colored items to show to advantage other dishes and
plates. This was back when I was on candying kick and acquiring items
that had been candied was part of that pursuit.
Tamarind shows up in Indian cookery; it is also a part of Persian and
Arabic cookery.
It shows up in a drink in An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook.

The taai-taai dough is one of those odd things. I was at the time on a
tear trying to figure out the best way to recreate the Dutch letter
cookies that are seen in many still life paintings.
(See them here in a painting by Osias Beert- Still Life with Oysters
and Pastries.
http://www.wga.hu/support/viewer/z.html  )

They have a marzipan or almond paste filling that is surrounded by a
pastry or cookie dough. If you cut
into the pastry, the filling is exposed and shows.