[Sca-cooks] Making vinegar?

Robert Dunn robert.arthur.dunn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 23:17:25 PST 2009

Glad to see I'm not alone in my madness of vinegar making!

There are a lot of sources for vinegar making from the 1700-1800
period, but prior to that I haven't had much luck with primary sources.

I found a French encyclopedia of mechanical processes from 1789(ish-
it's downstairs right now) which stated that  those who entered the
Corporatif du Maitres Vinegriers were sworn to secrecy.  So much for
getting first-hand accounts of the Orleans method.

There are several online sources in GoogleBooks that detail production
methods from Orleans to the Pasteur process.  Try searching for
"treatise vinegar manufacture."

There is however the Qi Min Yao Shu, a multi volume work from China in
the  3rd(?) century which contains methods for making 22 types of
vinegar.  I have yet to find a translation, later edition, etc near me.

I'm actually entering my first vinegar (alegar) today at the St.
Eligius event in Dragonship Haven, EK.

I made a brown ale based on a narrative from Digby, an alegar in an
oak cask (Orleans Method) from the brown ale, and a horseradish sauce
using the alegar I made instead of vinegar.

Bob
Thomas of Silverwood