[Sca-cooks] Myth of Spoiled Meat

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Fri Nov 20 22:51:30 PST 2009

There is a pesce Cane recipe in Martino that uses agliata and mustard sauce
to "dress' the fish. A detail description of the recipe can be found in
Oxford Symposium Papers 'fish Food from the Waters".

The last line of the recipe is relevant to this discussion. Here is the line
and the footnote from the paper. "But dress it well, as it shall not ever be
good when its nature is unpleasant[1]".

[1] When humoral theory is applied to the final phrase of this recipe it
becomes clear Martino was telling his reader that garlic sauce and mustard,
which are both hot and dry in nature, will balance the natural cool, wet
tendency of the fish. For an in-depth discussion of humoral theory consult
The Medieval Health Handbook; Tancuinum Sanitatis edited by Luisa Cogliati
Arano, The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages, Tempering Medieval Food"
(included in Food in the Midddle Ages), Mixing it up in the Medieval Kitchen
(included in ACTA Vol. XXI by Terrance Scully. Ep.1598 translates the entire
final phrase as "But dresse it in what sort you will, it will never bee good
as being naturally of no good taste".

Eduardo