[Sca-cooks] Best way to make almond milk?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Nov 22 08:04:21 PST 2009

Jim and Andi wrote:
> 'Lainie,
>
> Do you add hot water or cold? I have always used hot water in the food
> processor with the almonds, does cold work better?

You know, I don't remember! I suspect that warm water would help draw
out the oils (which are the source of the almond flavor).
> I use sliced almonds because they're cheapest around here, do whole
> almonds give richer milk?

I usually use slivered almonds. Trader Joe's usually has them at a
halfway decent price.
> My almond milk always looks like something between low-fat milk and
> skim.

You might be doing too many squeezings. I usually shoot for something
akin to 2%, if I stir the 'cream' back in.

Oh, and just as a note- don't try to use the almond milk in the boxes
from the grocery. It has all sorts of weird stuff added- usually sugar,
chemical stabilizers, preservatives, etc. Put it on your Cheerios during
Lent, but don't try to cook with it.

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore