[Sca-cooks] Cookie Exchange
kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:47:12 PST 2009
This recipe is one that I remember from my childhood...it was one of the
great things that made Christmas so memorable. Mama would make date-nut
bars, brownies, snickerdoodles, orange fruit cake, her own version of apple
sauce cake and...pecan scrolls:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tablespoons Cake flour
2 each egg, well-beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cream shortening and add brown sugar gradually. Beat until light.
2. Add well-beaten eggs. Blend well.
3. Add vanilla, flour and salt. Mix well.
4. Add nuts.
5. Drop by scant teaspoonfulls onto a greased sheet and spread as thinly
as possible with the back of a spoon. Leave 4" space between wafers.
6. Bake at 325 for 10 - 12 minutes.
7. Remove from sheet at once and roll around a wooden spoon handle while
Yield: 3 dozen
Notes: It is wise to have one person remove cookies from sheet and another
roll around the spoon handle as they crack if cool.
More information about the Sca-cooks