[Sca-cooks] Cookie Exchange

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:47:12 PST 2009

This recipe is one that I remember from my childhood...it was one of the
great things that made Christmas so memorable.  Mama would make date-nut
bars, brownies, snickerdoodles, orange fruit cake, her own version of apple
sauce cake and...pecan scrolls:

Pecan Scrolls

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tablespoons Cake flour
2 each egg, well-beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

1.    Cream shortening and add brown sugar gradually.  Beat until light.

2.    Add well-beaten eggs.  Blend well.

3.    Add vanilla, flour and salt.  Mix well.

4.    Add nuts.

5.    Drop by scant teaspoonfulls onto a greased sheet and spread as thinly
as possible with the back of a spoon.  Leave 4" space between wafers.

6.    Bake at 325 for 10 - 12 minutes.

7.    Remove from sheet at once and roll around a wooden spoon handle while
still warm.

Yield: 3 dozen

Notes: It is wise to have one person remove cookies from sheet and another
roll around the spoon handle as they crack if cool.

Enjoy!

Kiri