[Sca-cooks] Olives

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 28 23:19:55 PST 2009

Simon Sinneghe asked:

<<< I am soon to harvest my olives.  First decent crop since planting
the tree.  Can anyone point me to the medieval way of curing olives
for eating?  If it matters, the variety is Arbequina (sp?) a rather
small Spanish type commonly used for oil.>>>

Does the oil need any preparation or curing? Or just be squeezed out?

But then I was one of the folks who didn't know that olives needed to
be prep'ed or cured before eating. :-)

When I asked for some directions a while back on this list I didn't
get very specific recipes, but might want to take a look at this file.
I think there may be some mentions of books that do cover the curing
of olives, but I think some were expensive or at least above my budget
for my casual interest.

olives-msg        (54K)  1/15/08  Period olives. Processing fresh
olives.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/olives-msg.html

I hope you are keeping notes and taking pictures. I'd love to have an
article on this for the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com