[Sca-cooks] a newly done recipe

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Mon Nov 30 10:03:17 PST 2009

now i am sure i have been getting in touch with  my inner
roman a bit too much lately.  so...

yesterday, dear heart heard paula deen (white noise) say
something about shrimp, brown sugar and black pepper.  i
think it was two different combos, but i wasn't paying
that much attention.

says he:  "hey, that sounds good"
says me:  "well, there's a recipe in apicius that uses
shellfish, honey and black pepper.  do you want me to try
it?"  (when will i ever learn?)

later that evening, a bag of frozen shrimp appears in the
Albertson's basket.

says me:  "i guess you want shrimpies tonite?"
says he:  "why don't you try that brown sugar thing?"
says me:  "just for the heck of it, why don't i try that
apicius thing?" (still not learning)
says he:  "yeah, try it on a few, and do the others with
old bay."  (smart boy... don't ruin them all)

so there i was in the kitchen with a list of ingredients
from vehling and my cupboards having spilled forth, and
the shrimpies nicely thawed, and the seat of my pants
ready...

into a pan i put in this order:

olive oil
garlic and onions, finely minced (no shallots on hand)
red wine vinegar
cream sherry (no passum or raisin wine)
shrimp (8 of them, no langoustine)

i let that cook until said shrimpies were about half
cooked and then added

honey
black pepper (metric buttload)
black and yellow mustard seeds
salt

i finished the cooking of the shrimp, let the sauce reduce
and then tossed in a bit of parsley left over from
turk-zilla (no lovage... probably could have minced some
celery leaves but didn't think of that then).

adjusted the flavors and gave it to the guinea pig (who
might i add, walked into this one on his own)

he loved it, i loved it, incredibly good and approachable
flavors.

he wiped the pan with a piece of bread, and it is now on
the midwinter proposal being written, as part of appetizer
course.

it was not unlike a sweet, not too garlicy, scampi with
some bite from the mustard seed and pepper.

YEA!!!! SUCCESS at figuring out a list of ingredients.
 still doing the happy (and yummy) dance.

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico