[Sca-cooks] Apicius question(s)

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Nov 3 09:48:01 PST 2009

Is it just me?  Am I picking too many nits?

I was going over a few recipes that I am going to enter
into the local A and S competition (after suitably testing
them on my husband, of course) and I am a bit stymied.

I can get around the play with proportions until it tastes
right/good

First, it seems like almost every time, the whole herb
garden goes into the pot.  Well, perhaps that isn't so odd
since we do the thyme, rosemary, parsley, marjoram thing.

Second, there is no indication of what to substiture for
laser (which appears to be in everything as well... no
wonder it's not around any more).

Third, I don't see a lot of serving things cold or hot.
 Again, am I picking too many nits?  (This is especially
for a beet with mustard seed recipe that really appeals to
me).  Seems it would be good either way.

Or should I just do the Remy thing, and look at whats
there and toss it into the pot, dancing around as I go,
until it tastes good?

Cailte
known to over-think things...

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico