[Sca-cooks] Cookery book at Longleat House?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 7 20:26:41 PST 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 7:07 PM, Wanda Pease wrote:

> Johnna Holloway wrote:
>> It has not been published as far as I know. I asked again
>> a few months back and was told the introduction was
>> still being written at that time with no publication date set for
>> 2009.
>>
>> CBH has not heard either. Her part of it has been done for many,
>> many years.
>>
>> I should hear something as soon as it is available. I'm in line to
>> get a copy.
>>
>> Johnnae
> Did you check those recipes at the BBC site?

Those recipes and that article are dated from several years back.
There was a news article from  2002 that we talked about on the list.

That's earlier than the one you cited.

>  Is that the correct title of the book?  The Boke of
> Cokery" (Richard Pynson, 1500)

The first words are This is the boke of cokery. It's been catalogued
under a number of entries, including Cookbook 1500.

I suspect the title when published will be
A Noble Boke of Festes Ryalle and Cokery.

But who knows... they could call it the Longleat Book of Cookery!

Pynson is not the author. He was the printer and is rather famous for
being the king's printer. I don't think it will be titled Pynson's
Book of Cookery.

> I am so glad to hear that parts of it have been done.
> Wanda

I've been waiting 15 years now for it. I read about the project in the
mid 90's
and wrote to Hieatt about it years and years ago.

Johnnae