[Sca-cooks] Stefan's recent Nobles Luncheon at the BG 30th

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 7 20:47:07 PST 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
Johnnae mentioned her dessert table--

> <<< (Like I am one to talk. I did 24 cakes plus
> the following for the one event one time:
> A Jelly of Strawberries, A Summer Dishe, A Cream,
> Sugar Cakes, Shortbreads, Wafers, Letter Cookies,
> Spice (Dutch Taai-Taai) Cookies,
> A Great Cake, Sugarpaste and Marchepane Roses,
> Candies of Lemon Peel, Orange Peel,
> Blood Orange Peel, Lemon Slices and Orange Segments,
> Blood Orange Candied and Dried, Candied Citron,
> candy of lemon, candy made of oranges,
> tamarind candy and melon candy
> Apples cut into sticks, Candied and Preserved.,
> Apricot Paste cut into Diamonds and Squares,
> Rose Preserves; Quince Jam; Marmalade,
> Sugar Candy Crystals and Comfits,
> Dried Fruits of Apricots, Cherries, Currants,
> Dates, Raisins, Figs, and Almonds,
> Fresh Fruits of Strawberries, Cherries, Grapes,
> and Watermelon) >>>

Stefan said--
> Your menu does have a strong advantage over mine. With the exception
> of the fresh fruit, most of this could be made up over weeks or even
> months ahead of time, as time permits and not have to be rushed in
> the last couple of days before the fresh ingredients would spoil.

Menu/article is at
http://www.mkcc.rhawn.com/MKCCfiles/RoseTournament2002Desserts.html

This should be in your files of articles to add to Florilegium.

> Was this 24 different cakes? Or 24 cakes of only a few varieties?
> Now I can see where the cakes couldn't be made too far in advance or
> they would spoil. Or did you make and then freeze them? That would
> still be a lot of freezer space, though.

24 cakes varying recipes and they were baked and frozen in advance.
They were the dessert for the populace. I donated those, the dessert
table plus enough watermelons
for everyone at the event. Over $200 worth. Closer to $250 probably.

> And your selection would be great for a Yule dayboard or dessert
> board. A Renaissance buffet? The sort of meal they built the rooms
> for.  Hmmm. I'm going to have to keep this list in mind. Maybe if I
> want to make a splash at our baronial Yule pot luck...

It's a banqueting menu suitable for a sideboard.

> Tamarind candy? The only place I've seen tamarind was in Indian food.

Something I came across.

> What is the recipe for the "Spice (Dutch Taai-Taai) Cookies".

They are discussed in the book Windmills in My Oven among other places.

> <<< Sometimes we just go crazy. >>>
>
> Wasn't that something I was supposed to learn as a kid? Something
> about eyes being bigger than stomaches?
>
> Is that the difference between a Laurel and a Pelican? The Laurel
> tries to do it all, authentically. And the Pelican gets others to
> try to do it, authentically?
>
> Stefan

Hope this helps

Johnnae