[Sca-cooks] An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 8 11:37:18 PST 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 2:24 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Judith Epstein wrote:
>> Maybe a couple of events without feasts would clarify the issue of
>> the relative importance of cooks for them.
>
> Johnnae replied:
>> You must understand that major events, even events like Crowns
>> and Coronations, routinely run without feasts in this kingdom.
>> Some offer hotel catered banquets that don't sell out and get
>> canceled.
>> Others never plan a feast to start with.
>> Even the 40th ran with just lunch taverns.
>
> Well, out here in The West, there are NO Kingdom level events
> guaranteed to have a feast.
>
> We have no lunch tables, day boards, or feasts at our 3 Crown
> Tourney and 2 Coronation camping events, including TWELFTH NIGHT
> Coronation, which usually happens in a hotel and does NOT have a
> catered meal. There's a room set aside for eating in where it's
> strictly BYO.
>
> We used to have feasts at our two Collegia per year. But first each
> Collegium went from a 2-day to a 1-day event with a feast on
> Saturday night, and then feasts were curtailed for two reasons: 1)
> the sites we usually use, schools, don't let us use there
> professional kitchens and often have no home ec. room anymore, and
> when they do they usually have home-grade not-fully-functional
> electric stoves; and 2) not many people stayed for the feast. Now
> we're only having one Collegium per year because it's such a money
> loser. Small groups of dedicated foodies sponsored the Perfectly
> Period Feast in 2007 (English, early 15th c.) and next year there
> will be a late period Spanish PPF.
>
> I'm not very up on feasts in other Western Principalities and in our
> Marches, but in The Principality of the Mists we have 3 feasts per
> year: two Investitures, and one Bardic Competition and Feast, which
> has been losing money. The Investiture Feasts are often poorly
> attended, too, especially the Fall one (Nov. 21 this year) because
> it's usually pouring rain and people want to get home before it's
> too dark and dangerous to drive.
>
> Some branches of the Mists have feasts in December - that's when
> most of the feasts are. And because they're at branch level - barony
> (not as big a deal out here, since they are subordinate to the
> principality they're in), province, shire, canton, college - these
> feasts are quite often not historically accurate, and often pot
> lucks. Some branch "feasts" during the lighter time of the year are
> just your basic American cook-outs.
>
> So, no historical feasts? There are very few anyone would really
> miss. Not much of a threat...

I'm thinking that around here, we need to have a sit-down with the
Usual Suspect event-steward and cook types and brainstorm on some
alternatives, including events without feasts, feasts with cold dishes
or dishes cooked off-site but nearby, keeping pots of food warm in big
insulated cooler boxes, portable burners and ovens, etc. It is doable,
but growing harder every year.

The vacuum-sealed boil-in-bag thing worked pretty well for me
yesterday, but it would be nice if solutions could teach a bit about
period cookery, too. I guess if people get to eat it, it still can,
but there's something lost when your period cooking becomes an airline
meal.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter