[Sca-cooks] An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Sun Nov 8 19:28:55 PST 2009

On 8 Nov 2009, at 9:08 PM, chawkswrth at aol.com wrote:

> I was in the same shock as Judith, when I first heard of No Feast
> Events. Feasts are the norm in our Kingdom (we are both Meridians).
> My theory is that it stems from Southern habits-people who come to
> our Events are company and we do tend to treat our company royally.
>
> You might even say that having a Feast is Tradition in this Kingdom.
> And we all know what they say about Tradition....
>
> Helen

I'm in the Middle Kingdom now; the events I attended in college were
in An Tir, and everyone kept talking about the feasts. (Back then, I
didn't keep kosher; I couldn't partake because I could barely afford
admission to the event, let alone food while I was there.) It just
seemed to be the standard thing: you have an event, and therefore you
have a feast.

But yes, I'm Southern by birth and tradition, and Jewish on top of
that. It seems... well, not *quite* repugnant, but not far off, to
invite someone over and not at least make the effort feed them. They
can turn it down if they want, but at least making the offer is the
correct thing to do, or so my confluence of traditions tells me.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg