[Sca-cooks] Minor rant Re: An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 9 06:38:35 PST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I don't think anyone meant this as a slam to other parts of the
> country.  I
> have either lived in or visited most parts of this country and have
> found
> hospitality wherever I have gone.  Yes, I was raised in the
> tradition of
> southern hospitality as well...but I think that it's more a matter
> of what
> we want to do personally.
>
> I also don't think that our having feasts is part of that heritage.
> We were
> originally a part of the East Kingdom and many of our "traditions" are
> inherited from those folks.  Among those is the tradition of having
> feasts
> at most of our events.
>
> Kiri

Oh, I agree, I'm sure there was no slam. My point was that since not
wanting to cook a feast does not appear to be the reason for not doing
so, I'm questioning whether really, really wanting to, per tradition,
versus simply being able to, is really the issue. I'm positing that
the practical reality of "Can we do this or not?" outweighs any
consideration of how we were raised. And yes, it's true, I did have to
ask myself, especially after the point was raised more than once, "Do
these people actually think hospitality doesn't exist outside of their
home groups, or that they invented it?" But I didn't think that was
central to my argument.

I'm just wondering how many events simply don't happen at all if the
feast becomes impossible. There probably is no data available on that.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter