[Sca-cooks] printed cookbooks prior to 1501

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 09:02:26 PST 2009

Greetings,
  Sorry if this was already covered in this thread, I'm nearing the end of a huge move and my computer died this weekend so I'm playing catch up.

   I have some great information that Master Eduardo was kind enough to share with me. It's a book published in Italy in 1960 that lists "all" of the cookery and related foods books published in Italy, in Italian, starting with the printing press onward. The first entry listed is Honesta Voluptata which has 6 separate listings from 1475-1416. Apparently Lord Westbury felt it was pertinent to add. However, it is important to note that he also chose to include agricultural books that were not cook books in the recipes sense, because of the importance of what was available agriculturally. I took the chronological index of this book and put it into a spreadsheet so you can sort by author, title, year of publication, edition # (counting by publishing dates given here), and the page number of his further notes in the rest of the book.

If it's alright with Eduardo I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet that I put together. It's a really fascinating way to look at the information. Will this list accept attachments, or should I try to post it somewhere to the web and point to the URL?

In joyous service,
Raffaella