[Sca-cooks] printed cookbooks prior to 1501 -- Platina

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Nov 9 13:41:45 PST 2009

A detailed analysis of all the corpus is really needed.

But there is really no way to generalize at this point. Sometimes Martino
are more detailed than Platina and sometime Platina elaborates on Martino's
recipes (not necessarily more details but extra information not necessarily
relevant to the cooking) and some are exactly the same (Latin translation
taken into account).

They are considered (and rightly so IMHO) Martino's recipes and in some
cases even follow the same order as those recipes in the LC Martino and VAT
Martino.

Interestingly some of the "recipes" in the first part of De Honesta can also
be found in the second part and although I have not undertaken an extensive
study I have been able to find some of the recipes in the first five books
in Apicius and in the Tactum! Very interesting study that one would be.

Eduardo