[Sca-cooks] Cow harness

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:46:08 PST 2009

This kind of reminds me of the fellow who, upon seeing my father's cattle in
our front pasture at home, knocked on our door and asked my mother if we had
any "gentleman cows" for sale.

I was a little confused by what Bear said as it didn't fit in with my
memories of what castrated cattle were called.  I had always heard them
referred to as steers, but then they typically weren't used as draft
animals.  So I looked it up and found that, when they are used as draft
animals, they are frequently referred to as oxen...but mostly in other parts
of the world...which would, I suspect, cover our period in Europe.  But here
in the US, you may also hear the term steer.

Kiri