[Sca-cooks] was cheap, now expensive foods

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Nov 11 17:17:22 PST 2009

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> Was written:
>
>>> A long time ago, lobster was apparently considered a trash "fish".
>
> If I recall correctly I seem to remember mention of an old and now
> rather odd state regulation/law in one of the New England states,
> perhaps Maine, that convicts could be served lobster only so many
> times a week.

ISTR that that was because it was (locally at least) a 'trash fish', and
could be wasted on convicts. Around here, crappie and whitefish kinda
fall into that category...

Have to mention though- there was period in time (more than 20 years ago
now) when we ate crawfish 4 or 5 times a week, because we were broke and
the then-husband could put the trap in the creek on the way too work,
and pick it up full on the way home. I _still_ can't eat the things, no
matter how much butter and lemon is on them. :-/ I can certainly
understand how convicts might tire of lobster!

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore