[Sca-cooks] Going crazy trying to find cervelatte recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Nov 13 07:37:24 PST 2009

There's also the recipes "Ouverture de Cuisine" translation by © 2006
Daniel Myers -

Second Book.

Which treats for making sausage of Bologna, & many types of pastry,
then the meat of sea fish, & other types, with all kinds of jelly.

To make Bologna sausage.

Take six pounds of slightly fatty pork, & cut into slices, & put in a
cloth, put it in a press to squeeze out the blood, & let sit one hour
in the press until the blood is all out, then chop it coarsely, not
too small, put therein four ounces of salt, an ounce of pepper, grind
coarsely, one ounce of cinnamon well powdered with a fine sieve, & mix
all together with the salt, & put into the meat, & take eight ounces
of Spanish wine, & mix it well by hand for a half hour, when all will
be incorporated into the meat, then take beef intestines that are
thicker than you want the sausage, then fill with the meat as hard as
possible, & have a thick eplingue at hand for always piercing the
intestine, at the end that doesn't have any hole therein, & that the
meat will be well compacted, then tie the intestine well closed
thereon & thereon of the length that you want to have the sausage,
then have a cauldron of boiling water on the fire, & put to boil the
sausages in three or four boilings, & cut them apart, then hang them
at the chimney five or six days until they are well dried.

To make mortadella.

Take six pounds of meat like above, & put therein two ounces of salt,
half an ounce of pepper like above, an ounce of powdered cinnamon,
four ounces of grated parmesan, then mix well with the meat, & fill
the intestines, & make sausage, like you want to have, large or small.

Note they can be eaten hot with various cole flowers or others.

To make fine Ceruelade.

Take six pounds of meat like above, but it shouldn't be too fatty,
then take a half ounce of pepper, & half ounce of cinnamon, & half
ounce of nutmeg, a little saffron, moistened with a bit of Spanish
wine that with the others, then make sausages like the others.

These would have been mid 1580's with publication in 1604.

Johnnae