[Sca-cooks] : Ginger.

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 14 08:32:04 PST 2009

When we were in Hawaii in 2007, I went in search of ginger
and the plants.  There are numerous varieties of ginger, (maybe as
many as 1200 plus species) most of which are ornamental in nature and
little known outside of the islands or Southeast Asia or India. The
National Tropical Botanical Garden on the island of Kauai contains an
outstanding collection of  rare ornamental gingers. The brochures
describe them as "While designed primarily as a display garden, some
areas in Allerton Garden focus on distinct collections. One section is
devoted to an impressive collection of plants in the order
Zingiberales, which includes Heliconia (in the Heliconiaceae), Costus
(spiral gingers, in the Costaceae or Costus family), Calathea (in the
Marantaceae or Prayer Plant family), and Etlingera (torch gingers in
the Zingiberaceae or Ginger family)."

   Here's an extension service .pdf Ornamental ginger, red and pink on
the subject
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ctahr2001/PIO/FreePubs/FreePubs07.asp

Johnnae