[Sca-cooks] Are you an herb or a spice?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 19:05:15 PST 2009

Johnnae, you are so fast!!  You answered the question before I even saw it.

I'd say sesame and poppy are spices.  Mustard too.   Spice Islands
sells basil and thyme, and they are on Katzer's wonderful site, that
doesn't make them spices.

http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-finder/food-nutrition/what-difference-between-an-herb-spice

>Spices are aromatic (odorous) seasonings obtained from the bark,
>buds, fruit, roots, seeds, or stems of various plants and trees.
>Examples of spices are cloves, cumin, and black pepper.
>Herbs, on the other hand, usually come from the leafy part of a
>plant. Examples of herbs are oregano, basil, cilantro, and bay
>leaves.

Ranvaig