[Sca-cooks] Vacuum food savers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 3 00:20:03 PST 2009

Adamantius said:
<<< I'm not sure what's available now, but I've had a FoodSaver (I think
was made by Tilia, but now owned by Sunbeam) for a couple of years, am
and have been very happy with it.

My primary purpose for it is quick marinating and curing meat and
fish, but I did pack several packets of salt-cod fiskeboller for next
weekend. >>>

I've heard that these keep frozen food from getting freezer burn since
the machine removes most of the air from the bag before sealing it.
But is there some advantage to using these bags and/or this machine
for marinating and curing of meat over say, just a zip lock bag? Or is
this a matter of wanting to both marinate the meat and freeze it, and
the ease of simply doing that in the same bag?

What is this "salt-cod fiskeboller"?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------