[Sca-cooks] Minor rant Re: An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 9 10:40:57 PST 2009

Adamantius wrote:
>  I'm just wondering how many events simply don't happen at all if the
>  feast becomes impossible. There probably is no data available on that.

I certainly can't add any data, but i can comment on what happens
within the West Kingdom.

In The West, kingdom events all happen without feasts - as i've
mentioned, a few can have feasts, but they all happen without feasts.
And at the Principality level, Investitures in the Mists and Cynagua
could certainly take place without feasts.

Ultimately, camping events generally happen without feasts at every
level. There may be the occasional feast, but a feast is not a
typical part of a camping event.

However, the Principality of the Mists Bardic Competition and Feast
wouldn't happen without the feast. Without a feast, the format would
have to change and it would have to be folded into some other
Principality event.

And out in the branches most events with feasts are pretty much
feasts (with entertainments, of course), not events with feasts, so
without a feast they can't happen.

Here in the Central West, we have no events with breakfasts (other
than the rare occasional fund raiser) or lunches or day boards (other
than the rare occasional fund raiser) and the populace doesn't expect
food to be available. Our tradition at camping events is to bring our
own food. Households or branches may organize some meals, but these
aren't guaranteed. I think this isn't a lack of hospitality, but
rather a tradition of self-sufficiency. Because of the weather in
Alaska, i think events in the Principality of Oertha are different -
perhaps an Oerthan listee can fill in some details.

The Kingdom of the West now funds no feasts. The Perfectly Period
Feast of a few years ago was held as if it were a class. And the
people who were involved in making it happen put up the funds for the
food, casting pewter spoons for every diner, making ceramic serving
dishes, building the benches we all sat on, making their own period
garb out of period materials, etc. I'm not quite sure how the three
"taverns" at Kingdom A&S were funded, but the kingdom didn't put up
the money for them.

When Maestra Anna Serre and i did dayboards as fund raisers at four
inter-principality wars and one kingdom crown tourney, i did hear
negative comments from a few longtime Westerners that dayboards were
not a Western tradition, with the implication that they did not
belong at events within The West. And because of various other
things/ activities/ behaviors that have shown up at events brought
from other kingdoms, there has been occasional grumbling about these
incursions that break with our traditions of the West from some very
long-time Westerners, a few of whom are quite powerful and
influential.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita