[Sca-cooks] Making vinegar?

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 13:22:58 PST 2009

I have a bottle of homemade vinegar, cultured off a wine pressing that went wrong.  Diarmaid and I used most of it educating fighters and Boy Scouts about the joys of oxymel, and kept back about a liter for cooking and medicinal purposes.  We put it in a bottle, fed it the remains of any bottle of wine we didn't finish, and eventually it developed a "mother", and has been happily working every since - about 6-7 years now.  As we use the vinegar, we refill the bottle with wine and let the "mother" it do its thing.

The "mother" is kind of hard to describe - It's a living organism.  I think its a particular kind of fungus.

There are places online where you can buy vinegar-making kits.  There's a good article on homemade vinegar at:  http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-virtue-of-homemade-vinegar

It's absurdly simple to make and keep up, and better that the stuff in the stores.

Talana

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009