[Sca-cooks] Barberries

CHARLES POTTER basiliusphocas at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 14 17:14:46 PST 2009

  Yes these recipes are in the translation I sold to you.  The barberries you found are just like the kind I can get in Lexington.  Here are two recipes I found and I think there are some more. Enjoy!

                                           SAPORE SOPRA GAMBARI FRITTI

        Piglia i Gambari, dopoi che son cotti allesso, e mondali la coda, lasciadola cosi monda attaccata busto, e poneli a frigere nella patella in Buttiero frescho, poi ponili sopra aceto, e agresto, e un poco di Canella fina, e dalli due volte nella patella, con qualche grano Crespina, o Marene intiere, quando e il tempo, poi levali dalla patella, e falli stare un poco stuffati, poi imbandendoli serano buoni.

    89 G                                      SAUCE OVER FRIED PRAWNS

      Take the prawns after they are boiled cooked and you shall clean the tail, leaving this clean (tail) attached to the trunk and put them to fry in the pan in fresh butter. Then put over them vinegar and sour grape juice, and a small amount of fine (ground) cinnamon and give them two turns in the pan with some grains of barberries, or of unripe grapes, or whole cherries according to the season. Then remove them from the pan and make it to stand for a while to stew. Then readying for the banquet they shall be good.

                      CAPPONI PIZZONI, O ZAMPETTE DI VITELLO, IN CRESPINA

     Piglia iltuo Vcelto, carne, o zampetta, e falla cuocere con pezzo di Persutto, e un pestata di Lardo, secondo la quantita che uorrai fare, e quando seri quasi cotta, piglia Torli d' Uova, e battili co un poco d' agresto, e Pevere, e Gengeuro pesto, e tanto zaffraro, che li dia un poco colore, e gettalo in detto Vaso, dove a cuocere la carne brancatta d' herbe oliose peste, e la tua Uva Crespina, e che con li sia molto brodo, e la finerai di cuocere con ogni cosa insieme, e se li vorrai mettere un poco d' Uva Passa monda, non li disdiraniente.

   95 C            CAPONS, PIGEONS, OR LEGS OF VEAL WITH BARBERRIES

      Take your poultry meat or leg and make it to cook with a piece of ham (prosciutto), and a pinch of lard, according to the quantity you shall want to make. And when it shall be nearly cooked, take yolks of eggs and beat them with a small amount of sour grape juice and pepper and pounded ginger, and enough saffron that gives it a small amount of color. And place it in named pot where it is to cook the meat, with a hand ful of pounded herbs in oil and your barberries, and there is not to be too much broth. And you shall finish cooking it with everything inside, and if you want to put a small amount of seeded raisins inside, it is nothing to leave them out.