[Sca-cooks] History -- pecan pie recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 19 15:08:28 PST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I did a quick survey of what they called in various cookbooks.
>
> Desserts by the Yard-- Flourless Chocolate Cake
> Chocolate by Le Cordon Bleu -- ditto
> NYTimes Dessert Cookbook-- ditto
> Cake, frosting & fillings -- ditto
> The Hudson River Valley Cookbook -- Martin's Incredible Flourless Chocolate Cake with English Custard Sauce.
> Joy of Cooking (1997)-- Flourless Chocolate Decadence
> Chocolate Holidays by Alice Medrich-- the ultimate flourless chocolate cake
>
> One of the first recipes that I remember for these was Julia Child's Le Gateau Victoire Chocolat, Mousseline which appeared in Julia Child & Company in 1978. It was described as
> "Chocolate mouse dessert cake." No flour, no starch... just chocolate, rum, coffee, eggs, whipping cream and vanilla. "a dessert confection"
>
> Johnnae

I usually see them described as flourless gallettes, which in classical French baker's terminology is a flat cake, as distinguished from, say, a sponge cake made from paté Genoise, for example.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter