[Sca-cooks] Myth of Spoiled Meat

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 21 14:14:07 PST 2009

--On Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:02 PM -0700 Georgia Foster
<jo_foster81 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> We are proceeding from the assumption that all meat was bought and sold.
> That was simply NOT the case.  Now please take this in the context it is
> intended.  I have never had a problem with naming it now and eating it
> later.   It was a fact of life where I was raised.  Poultry is meat.  no
> yard would be complete without a parcel of poultry in it.  Pigs, both
> feral and domestic, can be raised and braised.

We also seem to be assuming that most meat is eaten fresh. Possibly it was,
but we have copious information on the terms for and preservation of meat.
Is there information on quantity of fresh vs preserved (salted, smoked,
pickled/brined) meat in medieval cultures?

toodles, margaret