[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP "Begging for Thanksgiving"

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:32:06 PST 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM, S CLEMENGER <sclemenger at msn.com> wrote:

> My parents were born in the mid-30s (Dad would have been 73 this upcoming
> Wed), and they never mentioned anything like the begging at Thanksgiving.
> They were both born (and largely raised) in Connecticut, so perhaps it's a
> regional thing?
> --Maire, who doesn't get trick-or-treaters, alas....

This is one of the things for which Wikipedia is useful. I remember reading
a lot about Beggars' Night and such. Most of these traditions seem to have
been regional, occuring at different dates somewhere around this time of
year, sometimes the night before Halloween, sometimes November 1 or 2,
sometimes at Thanksgiving.