[Sca-cooks] Feasts in various kingdoms

Debra Eccles deccles2 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 19:06:36 PST 2009

Kiri wrote:

In Atlantia, the only events that don't have feasts are demos and a rare
tourney that involves only fighters.  And most events feature fighting...but again there are a few exceptions, particularly during the winter.  Our Twelfth NIght has a feast, though with the numbers of peole who attend, doing this has become an exercise in creativity.  Probably the largest group we have served was a number of years back when we fed 600 + at Atlantia's Twentieth Year celebration.  And we served it outdoors in the middle of what turned out to be a hurricane!

Overall I agree with Kiri, although Bright Hills Day of Dance is a potluck and the Kingdom Universities I've attended in Atlantia had no feast.  I'm not sure whether Unevent has a feast.  But all of these are unique events not so well suited to feasts.  I am sure that cooks refusing to cook would be a big deal here in Atlantia.  When I was in Ansteorra and in the East Kingdom, I do not remember attending events without feasts, but I don't remember those cooks getting as much recognition as is given here in Atlantia.  I remember events with and without feasts in the Outlands.

It seems a great loss both to the cooks and to the populace in the western kingdoms to not have feasts as a regular feature.

Deirdre O'Bardon
Apprentice to Dame Olwen the Odd
Co-Guildmistress of the Bright Hills Cooks Guild