[Sca-cooks] was cheap, now expensive foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 11 15:43:50 PST 2009

  Antonia Calvo <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
<<< Ah, lamb shanks... another thing that's become woefully
trendy.  It's not too many years ago I could buy two for
$1 in the supermarket-- now they're out of my reach.>>>

To which Cailte replied:
<< i think we can add short ribs to that list too.  trendy =
pricey. >>

Maybe. I can still find bonelsss ribs on sale cheaper than chunks of
meat meant for stews. When I do, I buy them and these become my base
meat for stews and such.

As far as I know, lamb has never been inexpensive here in central
Ansteorra.

What other similar food items can you think of which were cheap, until
they became trendy and then the price shot way up?

Skirt steak, once fajitas became popular

Chicken wings.  I wanted some small chunks of meat, with their own
handles, which I could cook up as a finger food for the Nobles
Luncheon I did recently. Chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs were
the same price as either the chicken section of the chicken wings. At
the same price I was tempted to use one of the first two, but those
would have meant fewer, total pieces, so I went with the lower chicken
wing portions.

A long time ago, lobster was apparently considered a trash "fish".

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com