[Sca-cooks] Latest Petit Propos au Culinaire

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:12:18 PST 2009

I've had the issue for a couple of weeks now, and finally had the time to
actually read what is in it.  And oh, was I pleased.

There's a wonderful article about the history of almonds that covers the
Middle and Far East as well as Europe.  There's also an article about how
terms used in a bakehouse would have been used to teach people the French of
the Norman upper classes in Britain...so there's lots of stuff about French
and Anglo-Saxon baking terminology.  And...there's a great article about the
life of Brillat Savarin!  Finally in the book review section, there is an
extensive review of Scully's translation of Scappi.  The reviewer seems to
make many of the same points that Mistress Helewyse makes about problems
with the translation.  She also complains about the missing menus in one
section of the book.

All in all, this is probably one of the more enjoyable issues of this little
magazine.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my subscription (Thank you, Huette) and
plan to continue my subscription!

Kiri