[Sca-cooks] a Medieval "vegan" potpie??

Stephanie Yokom sayokom at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 17:36:14 PDT 2009

Thank you!  To me, this looks plausible in serving because of the
ingredients involved and it looks simple enough to prepare.  I never really
thought of the lentil family being the main course, either. (Mainly because
I can't even get my family to eat baked beans and I love beans!)

I will check out the florilegium because I do keep forgetting that there are
savory tarts as well.

This is very interesting information that I have learned about vegetarianism
in the middle ages.  Learning that it could get you killed!

Sabra

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 10oz / 300 g frozen filo pastry - thawed
> Olive oil
> Sesame seeds
> 1lb/450 g fresh baby spinach
> 8oz / 225 g grated zucchini
> 4oz/100g finely chopped green pepper
> 1 small onion finely chopped
> 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or crushed
> 1 tbs olive oil for brushing
> 1/3 cup fresh parsley (or 1dessertspoon dried parsley)
> ¼ tsp nutmeg
> Pinch black pepper
> 1oz /25 g feta cheese, crumbled
> Method
>
> Wash the baby spinach and place in a large saucepan with just enough water
> to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on a low heat until tender, for a few
> minutes.
> Drain and when cool, gently squeeze out excess water and chop finely.
> Heat olive oil and fry the onions and garlic until they are soft.
> Add the green pepper and fry for a further minute.
> Add the grated zucchini and fry for another minute.
> Remove from heat and stir in the spinach, parsley, nutmeg and black pepper.
> Mix well and gently stir in the crumbled feta, then leave to cool.
> On a clean, dry surface, unfold the filo pastry keeping the sheets
> together.
> With a sharp knife, cut the sheets in half.
> On an oiled baking tray, lay a single sheet of filo pastry, and brush with
> oil. Continue layering sheets, brushing with oil, until 1/3 of the pastry is
> layered on the baking sheet.
> Spread 1/2 the spinach and zucchini mixture onto the pastry. Leave a small
> space around the edges.
> Place another 1/3 of the pastry over the filling, sheet by sheet, brushing
> with oil as before.
> Spread remaining ½ of the mixture onto pastry, again leaving a gap at the
> edges.
> Place last 1/3 of the filo pastry over filling, sheet by sheet as before.
> Tuck all the edges under to seal in the filling and brush the top with oil
> and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
> Bake in a preheated oven at 180C / 350F for 25 minutes or until golden
> brown.
> Serve hot with crusty bread and a salad for a tasty light vegetarian
> supper.
>
> Read more:
> http://vegetarian-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/easy_vegetarian_filo_pie#ixzz0Sv9Euprv
>
> In the Florilegium.org take a look for the recipes Tart on Ymber Day. You
> can look under pies and Lent.
> Or look for this article- "To Make A Tart" by Terry Nutter.
> There's also Sabina Welserin which also has three spinach or mangel pies,
> and two herb pies.
>
> Johnnae
>

>> On Oct 3, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Stephanie Yokom wrote:
>>
>>  Something with a covering like puff pastry, a fritter top on maybe a
>>> small
>>> casserole type thing.  I wasn't offended...just surprised by the answers
>>> got until the medieval cookery website was mentioned and you asking for
>>> details.