[Sca-cooks] Chance piglet, looking for advice

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Oct 10 16:53:30 PDT 2009

It's been decades but I have been in on cooking a couple.
We did the one on grill over a wood fire. The over one was a pit
roasted one where they dug the hole in the ground and put the pig in.
So...
You have the pig and the grill. Here are some questions to think about:

It's a frozen pig. Needs to be defrosted before cooking. Do you have a
place
for that?

How much other pork are you cooking and how is that being prepared?
Do you want this piglet to be same recipe or different?
(Presentation pigs are normally browned so the skin looks golden brown.
and do you have a good sized meat platter that can be borne out for
presentation?)
You could lead off with this cooked being paraded around the hall and
presented and then
remove it. Quickly serve the other pork while someone carefully slices
up this piglet and serves
it on another platter. It then goes back out to the head table. If not
cooked, then
don't serve it.

Do you have dedicated BBQer with some experience?
(I can remember being at an event where the person watching the meat
on the grill
drank the beer that was supposed to be basting the meat. Needless to
say they replaced him
midway with someone sober.)

Are you roasting the other pork outside as well?

Is the grill covered in case it rains?

Here are some websites with advice that might help:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5025963_cook-pig-gas-grill.html
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pit_cooking_a_whole_hog.htm
scroll down past the ads

http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/tips.php/id/1/