[Sca-cooks] Simple Syrup Question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Oct 13 11:26:01 PDT 2009

It's probably mold. They ran test here on how to prevent eventual mold  
in the mixtures.

Here's a recipe that won't grow mold or so they say--
In this article we will explain how to make a Simple Syrup.

What You Will Need:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup corn syrup
1oz vodka


First, place the sugar and water in a pot and heat it up. Stir the  
mixture until the sugar has fully dissolved.
Next add the alcohol and corn syrup and continue to stir. Use a funnel  
and pour the mixture into a bottle to cool. The simple syrup that  
we're making won't crystallize due to the corn syrup and won't grow  
bacteria or grow mold thanks to the single oz of vodka in the mix. You  
have successfully made yourself a simple syrup additive for mixing  



On Oct 13, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Jill B wrote:
> But, I have a question.  I make cordials and use a home made simple  
> syrup and I made some about 3 months ago, went to use it and it has  
> "stuff" in it - stuff meaning not floaters like dirt, but like a  
> "film" floating throughout.  I sterilize my bottles, etc and I have  
> never seen this before...I was wondering, should I just dump it out?  
> or can it be re-heated and main question is - any ideas as to what  
> happened?  I have been making it for years and never seen this  
> before....

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list