[Sca-cooks] Drizzle of Honey

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 29 12:40:51 PDT 2009

Susan Fox wrote:

>>> Occasionally the heart can be wrong.  I finally won an argument with
>>> a friend who insisted that Mayonnaise was OK for SCA use because all
>>> the ingredients were known in pre-1600 Europe.  That may be so, but
>>> there was no written evidence of that kind of emulsified sauce being
>>> invented much before the 18th Century and that story about the chef
>>> of the Duc de Richelieu having invented it in 1756.
>>

>> Although, interestingly enough, there are a couple of recipes from
>> the Elizibethan corpus that come out not unlike Hollandaise...

I will have to follow up later-- I'm in the obnoxious position of not
having my books at work and not having an internet connection at home.
I think there was a salmon recipe in the Good Huswifes Jewell, and a
recipe for capon or cauliflower in a butter sauce, source forgotten for
the moment.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,