[Sca-cooks] Drizzle of Honey

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 29 16:28:27 PDT 2009

David Walddon wrote:

>Do you mean this one? French fashion (that is why I remembered Varenne) but
>it is from Robert May.
>
>To Boil a Capon or chicken with Colliflowers in the French Fashion. (page
>85)
>
>Cut off the buds of your flowers, and boil them in milk with a little mace
>till they be very tender ; then take the yols of 2 eggs, strain them with a
>quarter of a pint of sack, then take as much thick butter, being drawn with
>a little vinegar and a slic¹t lemon, brew them together ; then take the
>flowers out of the milk, and put them into the butter and sack : then dish
>up your Capon, being tender boil¹d, upon sippets finely carved, and pour on
>the sauce, and serve it to the Table with a little salt.

Yes, that is the very one! Thank you.

I don't remember exactly how I redacted it, but if you cook the egg
yolks and sherry/sack carefully over low heat, adding the butter and
vinegar and whisking as you go, you get something that is thickish,
emulsified and somewhat hollandaise-like.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?