[Sca-cooks] Jewish Chop Suey

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Oct 30 10:14:33 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was fine with the recipe until I got to the "break the pot" part.
> Do they
> really mean break the pot or just take the lid off?

It sounds like either dafina or a forerunner of pot pie. I would guess
that one should break the dough seal, rather than the pot itself,
given how wasteful it would be to break the pot. You could break it
wrong and wind up spilling your dafina all over the counter, instead
of merely making a nice neat crack that leaves the food intact and
edible.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg