[Sca-cooks] Break the pot

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 31 12:58:45 PDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 3:04 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:08 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:
>> Nice recipe, but my teeth ache, just thinking of trying to eat a
>> candied nutmeg! My lord, those things are hard as rocks before
>> candying! (the flavor would be really interesting, though!)
>> --Maire
>
> Really? 'Cuz when i use nutmegs, i often slice them before i grind
> them, and i'm always surprised at how hard they are not.

What she said. If you can grate them by hand (which you can), imagine
the force required to hold that small object in your fingertips versus
the force required to grate them. Basically, I'm suggesting that the
force required to push a small, usually rather dull, metal blade
through them to shear off a tiny chunk is not great enough to pull it
out of your grip, it couldn't be too hard.

Cracking a whole one with my teeth is another story. But I suspect
candied ones behave differently, and are probably sliced before
candying, exposing at least some of the softer insides.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter