[Sca-cooks] OT - I guess magic is where you find it...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 09:53:09 PDT 2009

Hullo, the list!

You know that moment in many a child's life where they hear stories
about a magical being who appears at various special times of the
year, and, if you've been good, gives you inordinate quantities of
toys, candy, and various other goodies?

And then when you get older, the bigger kids tell you there's no such
thing, it's all a fraud, it was all your parents rigging the whole
thing, and your innocence is gone forever?

Well, it's true. You've been had. Those older kids lied to you, and I
can prove it.

As we speak, there's a jolly old fat lady in a trailer on Roosevelt
Avenue and 61st Street, giving tacos filled with fried beef, spicy
chicken, shredded pork, tongue, sausage, and about six other fillings,
to all the good little children in the neighborhood! If you're extra
good, say "please" and "thank you" (especially if you make a
reasonable attempt at doing so in Spanish, but this is not strictly
necessary), you get extra hot tomatillo salsa, chopped onion, radish
slices and lime wedges, plus a huge toothy grin, for free!

It makes even a morning spent on line at the US Post Office
worthwhile! I don't know the details on how long people have been
buying tacos on the street (or where those streets might have been),
but I did feel like part of a very, very old tradition, of buying a
hand-held, grain-based meat package from a stall at the side of the
road while in the middle of running errands in town... a similar
experience could probably have been had in ancient Rome, medieval
York, or any of a million similar scenaria.

I just love these little moments of magic in everyday life.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter