[Sca-cooks] a Medieval "vegan" potpie??

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 17:14:17 PDT 2009

  There' no medieval source but you could try this one.

Vegetarian Filo Pie

Serves 4 People

Ingredients

10oz / 300 g frozen filo pastry - thawed
Olive oil
Sesame seeds
1lb/450 g fresh baby spinach
8oz / 225 g grated zucchini
4oz/100g finely chopped green pepper
1 small onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped or crushed
1 tbs olive oil for brushing
1/3 cup fresh parsley (or 1dessertspoon dried parsley)
¼ tsp nutmeg
Pinch black pepper
1oz /25 g feta cheese, crumbled
Method

Wash the baby spinach and place in a large saucepan with just enough
water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on a low heat until tender,
for a few minutes.
Drain and when cool, gently squeeze out excess water and chop finely.
Heat olive oil and fry the onions and garlic until they are soft.
Add the green pepper and fry for a further minute.
Add the grated zucchini and fry for another minute.
Remove from heat and stir in the spinach, parsley, nutmeg and black
pepper.
Mix well and gently stir in the crumbled feta, then leave to cool.
On a clean, dry surface, unfold the filo pastry keeping the sheets
together.
With a sharp knife, cut the sheets in half.
On an oiled baking tray, lay a single sheet of filo pastry, and brush
with oil. Continue layering sheets, brushing with oil, until 1/3 of
the pastry is layered on the baking sheet.
Spread 1/2 the spinach and zucchini mixture onto the pastry. Leave a
small space around the edges.
Place another 1/3 of the pastry over the filling, sheet by sheet,
brushing with oil as before.
Spread remaining ½ of the mixture onto pastry, again leaving a gap at
the edges.
Place last 1/3 of the filo pastry over filling, sheet by sheet as
before.
Tuck all the edges under to seal in the filling and brush the top with
oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180C / 350F for 25 minutes or until golden
brown.
Serve hot with crusty bread and a salad for a tasty light vegetarian
supper.

Read more: http://vegetarian-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/easy_vegetarian_filo_pie#ixzz0Sv9Euprv

In the Florilegium.org take a look for the recipes Tart on Ymber Day.
You can look under pies and Lent.
Or look for this article- "To Make A Tart" by Terry Nutter.
There's also Sabina Welserin which also has three spinach or mangel
pies, and two herb pies.

Johnnae