[Sca-cooks] a Medieval "vegan" potpie??

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 4 05:52:28 PDT 2009

> Thank you so much for all the VALUABLE information Stefan!
>
> When I say that I am a newbie in the Medieval kitchen, that is my
> understatement of the SCA career!  I am in the process of collecting
> recipes
> and working on my first project- (a turkey recipe from Rumpolt) but I have
> never worked a feast or even been a feast-o-crat!

Philosophical point -- feast-o-crat is a discordant modern construct, a
Frankenstein's monster so to say.  It would not be applied to the actual
overseer of a Medieval or Renaissance feast.  When one creates a feast, it
is first, to feed people and second, to provide the atmosphere of time and
place.  Using terms that were, or might have been, used in period is a start
on creating atmosphere.  We've had some long winded discussions on this and
other points of feast philosophy over the years, so you may also find some
of our maunderings in the Florilegium (when you get side-tracked).

> My friends that I will be cooking for are interested in a true medieval
> meal
> but the stipulation is that some of them are vegan and that really threw
> me
> for a loop because I am used to hearty, meat-filled feasts!
>
> I will keep asking the questions, because of being an extreme novice.
>
> Sabra

The way to handle this issue is variety.  Several courses, each with a meat
dish for the carnivores served with other dishes suitable for everyone.

Bear