[Sca-cooks] a Medieval "vegan" potpie??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 4 11:31:01 PDT 2009

Sabra replied to me with:

<<< The plausible is actually starting with the spinach.  I do know that
zucchini and green peppers are new world foods.  But I was thinking of
using
mushrooms and other period veggies as possible substitutes.  But using
this
recipe given is a good starting point for what to look for, now thinking
about it. >>>

Okay, I'm never sure whether particular individuals are aware of what
is from the New and what is from the Old World. There is a food game
introduced to many of us on this list called the New World/Old World
food game that has proven useful at many demos I have done. It is in
the demos-msg file in the Florilegium, but basically it has the
contestant try to divide a random mix of food items into an equal
amount of foods in a New and an Old World box. I usually use a total
of 20 different foods. Of the several hundred people who have played
it, only a small handful have gotten it completely right, and they've
been SCA folks. Actually I was fairly sure that zucchini was New
World, but *I* had to look it up first to make sure.

I know you are trying to create a one-pot meal here. But since you
mentioned mushrooms, you might also be interested in these files in
the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium.
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Urtatim.
mushrooms-msg    (162K)  2/19/09  Period mushrooms. Recipes.

<<< As for the pastry part, I can research the files to find a crust
to hold
everything together. >>>

Pastry making is an art. Many of us "cheat" and use prepared dough or
pie shells from the store.

<<< Now that I am armed with resources and information, I can find
what I am
looking for!  >>>

I hope the Florilegium proves useful to you. But if you can't find
what you are looking for there, or elsewhere, ask here. The knowledge
represented by this list is a tremendous, wide-ranging resource. And
besides, if you bring something new up here and someone gives some
good answers, then I can stea... er, capture it for the Florilegium
and then it will be available for the next person with a similar
question.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com