[Sca-cooks] Weckerin recipe for 'Erdäpfel' (non-existent so far)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 4 22:26:36 PDT 2009

The term "Erdapfel" was used to refer to the Martin Behaim terrestial globe
of 1492, thus the term predates Columbus's return to Spain in 1493 and
definitely occurs before the appearance of S. tuberosum in Europe.  So
equating Erdapfel with potato is a transition in usage rather than the
creation of a new term.

The Collins German-English Dictionary places the usage of Erdapfel for
potato as being a regional usage in Austria and South Germany.  Other
sources place it as being Austrian usage.  According to a webbed entry from
the Encyclopedia of Austria, Carolus Clusius received his potato samples in
Vienna in 1588 and the first potatoes farmed in Austria were at the
monestary of Seitenstetten in 1620, which gives something of a time frame
for potatoes in Austria (
http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.e/e712473.htm;internal&action=_setlanguage.action?LANGUAGE=en )
.  The problems I find with the entry are that by his own statement Clusius
received the samples in 1587 (IIRC), he had been dismissed from the Imperial
botanical garden in Vienna in 1577 by Rudolf II, who had the gardens razed
and, if the timeline I've worked out is correct, he was probably in
Frankfurt at the time.

An entry in Zeitschrift fur deutsche Wortfurschung Vol. 3 (
http://books.google.com/books?id=Q9wRAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA285&lpg=PA285&dq=erdapfel+pepone&source=bl&ots=SS18AOtd4f&sig=c4Ux5IKV9BJpFpCieUuudIztdaE&hl=en&ei=AnzJSp_LFonSlAeO6JmSAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=erdapfel%20pepone&f=false )
provide some interesting connections between the term in various spellings
and various cucubits.

Gerard received his potato samples in 1586.  Clusius received his in 1587.
Botanical descriptions and information about S. tuberosum only start
appearing in the last decade of the 16th Century.  This suggests that
potatoes were little known in Northern and Central Europe prior to the end
of the the 16th Century.  Given the 1581 publication date, Rumpolt predates
the appearance of botanical samples in the region.  I think it is unlikely
Rumpolt's Erdapfel is a potato, although that can't be ruled out without
more evidence.

In the case of Weckerin, the general idea that there is a potato recipe in
the cookbook apparently comes from a statement by Esther B. Aresty in her
book The Delectable Past that, "A recipe in it bore a close resemblance to
Rosti."  She then gives a modern recipe for Rosti.  Note that Aresty doesn't
state that the recipe is a potato dish (although it is implied), doesn't
offer the original recipe, and doesn't use the term Erdapfel.  I've been
chasing this chimera for a number of years and with the webbed copy of
Weckerin, I hope to find a resolution.

Bear