[Sca-cooks] speaking of apples

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Oct 5 05:26:12 PDT 2009

  Trees of Antiquity. http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

is recommended by many. The firm that sold me my trees went bankrupt,

so I can't speak from experience.

There's this article on Heirloom Apples at Martha Stewart.com

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/heirloom-apples?

They recommend:

Grow Your Own
Why not harvest your own heirloom apples? When selecting a tree
variety to plant, you may want to ask someone at the nursery the
following questions:

Which varieties will grow in my region?
What types best suit my intended use for the apple, whether cooking,
pressing, or eating out of hand?
Which varieties will thrive in the environment, whether container or
ground?
Are there any trees that are particularly disease- and pest-resistant
and will suit the above criteria?
Be sure to request trees that are only one or two years old.

Five Star Nursery
P.O. Box 1030
North Brooklin, ME 04616
207-359-2282