[Sca-cooks] Picture Puzzler

Roxann Hatch wilhemina3 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 10:38:50 PDT 2009

Greetings Gracious List Members,

I have recently subscribed and have thoroughly enjoyed the discussions so far.

I found someone's blog that occasionally has a "Food Painting of the Week". I do not remember your name, no offense meant,  though I believe you are on this list. I would like to enlist the members here in helping me identify the items in this still life by Clara Peeters.

http://www.bluffton.edu/womenartists/womenartistspw/peeters/peeters.html It is called Cheeses with Almonds and Pretzels.

Things I know: Clara Peeters was a Dutch still life artists in the early 1600s. It is thought that she did this painting sometime in her teems. These types of still life paintings are sometimes called breakfast paintings or break the fast paintings.

I want to identify as many of the items in the painting as possible. My thoughts so far are counter clockwise from top left:

Butter on an unpolished pewter plate
Softer, mold ripened cheese. Possibly Brie or Camembert
Aged cheese. Possibly an Emental or Gouda
Aged cheese. I think it may be some kind of blue cheese
The stack is sitting on a polished silver or pewter plate.
Pretzels
Pottery plate containing almonds, raisons, and figs? dates?
Pretty glass containing wine? liqueur? Is this a drinking vessel or just a decanter type of thing?
Bread roll. Pan de mane?
Pottery face jug. Any ideas on what it could contain? My thoughts are beer or wine.

My purpose for wanting this information: I have set myself the tast of doing "Food from a Portrait" like the costumers do clothing from a portrait.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Hilde
Apprentice to Baroness Casamira Jawjalny
Barony of Loch Salann
Kingdom of Artemisia