[Sca-cooks] Quince Query

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Oct 9 18:00:50 PDT 2009

I did quinces in two ways for one trial.
I cored the quinces and peeled them. Added an equal weight of sugar
and boiled the cores and peels until very soft in a pint of water per
pound of quince.
Strained that mixture to remove the cores and peels and then reboiled
the syrup until
it thickened. Poured that out. let it set up and then cut it into
diamonds.

The quinces that were left atfer being peeled and cored were thinly
sliced and prepared
in the manner of chips. They were simmered in a sugar syrup until soft
and then dried in a
very low oven until dried.

Both were very good.

Johnnae