[Sca-cooks] Another sausage question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 9 18:12:15 PDT 2009

Someone asked about period sausages cooked in wine or beer or with
those as ingredients?

Here is one that may or may not go quite back to period. From the
Florilegium sausages-msg file.

<<<<
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:56:55 -0500
From: Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

Phlip wrote:
 > Brighid- any chance you could send me the chorizo recipe? I'd be
 > interested in comparing it to modern versions.

Sure!
----------------
Receta para hacer chorizos

       Carne de puerco magra y gorda picada, harina muy cernida, ajos
mondados, clavos molidos, vino blanco, sal la que fuere menester.
Amasarlo todo con el vino y despues de masado, dejarlo en un vaso
cubierto un dia natural. Y despues henchir las tripas de vaca o puerco,
cual quisieredes, de esta masa y ponerlas a secar al humo.

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/
01371074322363763092257/p0000001.htm#48

---------------------------

Recipe to make chorizos

Chopped pork, lean and fat, well-sifted flour, peeled garlic, ground
cloves, white wine, salt as is necessary.  Knead it all with the wine,
and after kneading it, leave it in a covered vessel for a full day*.
And then stuff the intestines of cow or pig, whichever you wish, with
this mixture [literally, dough], and set them to dry in the smoke.

*Note: As in English, "day" (dia) can mean the time between sunrise and
sunset, or a 24-hour period.  The RAE dictionary makes it clear that
"dia natural" means a full day, which is divided into daytime and
nighttime.
--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom