[Sca-cooks] Quince Query

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 01:08:15 PDT 2009

>I have been told, though I haven't tried it yet, that a really good way to
>boil down the quince mixture to get the paste is to do it in a crock
>pot...leaving the lid off so it will reduce.

I tried using a crockpot for plum preserves and it didn't work at
all.  They got brown and nasty and smelled like prunes, but hadn't
thickened.  I did a second batch in a sheet pan spread out half an
inch thick in a low oven, and it worked brilliantly.  I got clear
pink beautiful preserves that tasted great.  That was plums not
quinces.  I had the crockpot close to full.  Maybe it would work with
a smaller batch.

Ranvaig